The Amoco iHorn is made from a vintage automobilia tin funnel, probably from the 1950’s which was a shop advertising piece. Tin funnels were common place and used for a variety of different household and industrial related tasks.
Amoco Corporation (originally, Standard Oil Company (Indiana) until 1985) was an American chemical and oil company that was founded in 1889, around a refinery located in Whiting, Indiana, United States. Originally part of the Standard Oil Trust, it focused on gasoline for the new automobile market. In 1911, during the breakup of the trust, it became an independent corporation. Incorporated in Indiana, it was headquartered in Chicago. In the 1930s, Standard Oil of Indiana absorbed the American Oil Company, founded in Baltimore in 1910, and incorporated in 1922, by Louis Blaustein and his son Jacob. The combined corporation operated or licensed gas stations under both the Standard name and the American or Amoco name (the latter from American oil company) and its logo using these names became a red, white and blue oval with a torch in the center. By the mid-twentieth century it was ranked the largest oil company in the United States. In 1985, it changed its corporate name to Amoco. Amoco merged with British Petroleum in December 1998 to form BP Amoco, renamed BP in 2001.The Amoco iHorn is a simple yet effective tool, its patina and functionality work as well today as when it was first made. Regardless of its age, The Amoco iHorn is remarkable in simplicity and function, yet loudly making its statement.