Utility Time Switch
The Utility Time Switch iHorn is made from a Lux Clock Manufacturing Company Timer Switch, which based on its weight and design was probably made between 1920 and 1940. The Lux Clock Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut was founded in 1914 by Paul Lux (1868-1947), his wife Caroline, and their two sons, Fred and Herman. In the years that followed, as the business grew, the company moved to larger buildings, only to have nearly everything destroyed by fire. The company was rebuilt with the help of family and friends, and in the 1920s a larger plant was built at 95 Johnson Street, Waterbury, Connecticut, which was expanded in 1931 and in 1936. During this period, the Lux Clock Mfg. Company produced 3,000 clocks per day. The Lux Clock Mfg. Company produced clocks until 1941, at which time they made war related products. Clock production resumed after the war.
The Utility Time Switch iHorn probably controlled lights, turning them off and on for commercial purposes. These were frequently used with shop lights or billboards. Regardless, time has always been measured and valued, and while intangible, is extremely sought after.